Sunday, August 14, 2011

Shepard's Pie With A Twist



Hey Loves! I am really excited that tonight is "The Next Food Network Star" season finale! I cant wait. Bryan and I have been following along all season. About two weeks ago one of the contestants had to make Shepard's pie. A traditional Shepard's pie (which derives from England) is basically a layer of ground lamb and vegetables such as peas and carrots, topped with a layer of mashed potatoes and baked in a casserole dish. This dish can also be made with ground beef which is known as "Cottage Pie". Bryan has been talking about making me Shepard's Pie for a while now. I had never made a Shepard's pie before so the other day we decided to make one.





 Instead of the traditional lamb or beef, I used a mixture of ground chicken and ground turkey. Instead of using peas (because I just don't like them, lol) we used corn, carrots, and onion. Traditional Shepard's Pie uses tomato paste to make a sort of gravy for the meat which I did incorporate but I also added a little sofrito which  consists of tomato, garlic, and onion cooked in olive oil. I also added a little sriracha to give it a little kick! Maybe this is not your typical traditional Shepard's Pie but it turned out delicious. I  made cheesy mashed potatoes using my favorite baby reds to layer over the meat sauce. The potatoes were so creamy and and cheesy, which made it so much more yummy. 







Would you like a bite!?!





No comments:

Post a Comment